Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Rubber hits the, uh....metal roller?

What a tease to have gotten my new bike in Early November. It snowed early in New Jersey this year, and has remained pretty cold. A friend of mine who has been biking for some time thought it helpful to describe for me the variety of cold-weather riding gear and apparel that are available, including helmet covers, skull caps, balaclavas, cycling "booties" (I'm not making this up), toe covers, etc. I patiently let him explain all these things, and when he was done, remarked, "I tell you what...if it's cold enough to need all THAT stuff, I'm not going!" I have since come to determine my minimum cycling temperature limit as being around 42-45 degrees. However, during this particularly cold NJ winter, I realize that waiting around for optimal weather is not a good way to get myself into shape. So, last week, I made a visit to the bike shop (the owner of which is starting to smile whenever I walk in), and picked up an indoor trainer:

It's certainly better than doing nothing, but I must admit, it's not nearly as much fun as cruising outside, actually GOING somewhere. So, as long as the temperatures hover in the 30's and very low 40's, I guess I'll be pedaling away in my basement, watching Fox News or HGTV.

Hey wait a minute, maybe this isn't so bad after all...

3 comments:

Sue said...

Yeah, that's not so bad ... At least your "stationary bike" looks WAY cooler than the clunkers from decades ago (remember those?). Your bike friend/enthusiastic sounded like Don when talking about his ... well, his areas of expertise. :) Guess there's all sorts of passionate folks out there! I'm with you, though. Happy peddling!

Sue said...

Ha ha ha! It took me a few days to realize that I wrote "happy peddling" instead of "pedaling" ... as if you were going to raise your funds through some hawking of wares! How funny ... don't even ask me what made me recall a typo. It is a pretty funny image, though ... :)

Anonymous said...

hey sandy
very impressive. boy thats a beautiful bike and trainer. The guy who sold them to ya must be a great guy. Just kiddin, it's me billy from the bike shop.You have a new blog fan...lol billy