I have been gradually acquiring a collection of biking jerseys, which I used to think were pretty weird looking before getting back into the sport last year. Now I'm beginning to realize that all of the quirky features (the tightness, the very LOUD colors, the pockets along the rear back side) all do serve important purposes. Most of my cycling wardrobe additions have been, I think, relatively tame for cycle-wear...solid-color shirts of orange, pink and fluorescent yellow. My favorite one, though, is a little "more interesting," shall we say:

I love this shirt...sunflowers, bike gears, and the words "Go Girl" written down the sides. My kids took one look at it and rolled their eyes.
Some weeks ago, I was scheduled to pick up my son from his school, rather than take the bus home as he usually does. It was a beautiful day, so I seized the opportunity to cycle somewhere other than my usual local routes...I racked up my bike early in the afternoon, parked my car by the school, and went for a great ride through the nearby towns, planning just enough time to get back to the school when it let out. I was just about a mile away when my cell phone rang; it was my son:
"Mommy, where are you?"
"I'm on my bike" (panting)
"But you're supposed to be picking me up from school."
"I am...I parked my car by school, and I've been riding my bike around here. I'll be there in just a few minutes."
There was a brief, but perceptible pause...until he quietly pleaded:
"Please tell me you're not wearing the flower shirt?"
Love you too, honey. I actually wasn't wearing the shirt that day, but you can bet next time, I will be...

4 comments:
I LOVE this story! Love the shirt, too, by the way! :) I can just picture him saying that ... kids are hilarious.
I remember years ago my grandma (yes, the tiny one you remember) had a bright yellow Chrysler-something-or-other (with the giant fins off the back sides), and occasionally my mom would pick us up from school in that car. WE HATED IT. We would see the Yellow Canary, as they called it, coming down the street and just die. We would quickly climb in and then (I'm not kidding) sit on the floor until we got home. It was mortifying.
Then I got older, a teenager, and thought it was the coolest car ever. Unfortunately she sold it before I was old enough to drive it. Figures.
Give it a few years and your boy will love the shirt too. :)
(Love the fact that he still calls you Mommy, too. Hope he doesn't grow out of that any time soon!) :)
Too, cute! I can picture him saying that as well! I love the "new jersey", but in all honestly, am having a hard imagining you in it!! I can see you in solid bright colors. Is there a side of you I don't know???? Regardless, as you step out in faith for your long bike ride this summer, I will enjoy picturing you stepping out in a bright, child-embarrassing biking shirt!
Guess there's a wild "biker chick" deep inside me that's been waiting to be let out. :)
You go, girl!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment