Friday, April 18, 2008

Good for the soul

This post really has nothing to do with biking, so bear with me, and if you are following this blog for the sole purpose of checking on my training progress, I apologize. :)

In a recent blog post of a very special friend of mine, she quoted these words from Psalm 126:2..."Our mouths were filled with laughter." She referenced this verse while sharing a story about finding a baked potato, or should I say, pieces of a baked potato, mixed in with a load of towels in her washing machine (her home life has become wonderfully chaotic after welcoming a baby girl from China). When she first relayed this story to me over the phone, we laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face...

Laughter IS good for the soul...and I was reminded of that this morning. As I was rushing around trying to get my 5-year-old off to preschool, she was begging me to go on "funnydogs.com" (oh, how internet-savvy little kids are these days) to see some funny videos her big sister had shown her the night before. Well, we really didn't have time, and I was getting a little irritated, but I grudgingly agreed, mainly to avoid the tantrum that would surely ensue if I didn't. (you know the drill, "OK, just for a minute!") Turns out it wasn't really "funnydogs.com", but a link to some YouTube "funny dog" videos, and we watched a couple, "just for a minute." Even though it made us late to school, I laughed so hard my stomach hurt, and so did she, and I left the house in a great mood. I guess, sometimes, it's not so bad to slow down a minute and find something to laugh at. Here...treat yourself to a couple minutes of therapeutic silliness: YouTube-Funny/Cool dogs. Oh, and if you watch closely, there's actually one clip related to cycling...so, I guess this kind of qualifies for the blog after all.

1 comment:

cammysue said...

The video was hysterical. We had a good laugh. I can see why Annika didn't want to leave the house before watching it again.

As far as the baked potato....Doug wanted it for lunch with leftover ham and corn. His loss, my gain??

Laughter is truly good for the soul as is slowing down and enjoying the good laughter with great friends!