First, a little leftover information from yesterday that I didn't get a chance to post...
On Wednesday night, Suzie and I were "billeted" (a weird word meaning we were taken to someone's house overnight) to the home of George and Effie Holthof, a wonderfully sweet older couple. A few teenage boys stayed there too. She helped with our laundry, and her kitchen was completely taken up by two huge drying racks filled with cycling clothes. When I came down at 5:15 in the morning, she had everything all folded in piles on her kitchen table, separated by "boys" and "girls", at least as best as she could.
I was on sweep duty in the morning, meaning I had to be at camp around 5:30 to help with breakfast, which goes from 6 to 7:30. After cleaning that up, we have to wait until everyone has packed away their stuff on the gear truck shelves, then all of the (very heavy) large tent/army/hockey bags get loaded into the center of the truck. A few people have to volunteer to ride as the last riders, making sure everyone gets to the next spot safely.
Since I was going to be long, Suzie left ahead of me, which led to an interesting day for me. When I finally "escaped", I was riding on my own for awhile, until a group of 3 of the young kids came up from behind. I "tucked in" behind them and drafted off them for quite a while...we were flying, doing close to 20 mph. Eventually another group of kids came, and there about 10 of us in 2 columns of 5 each just ripping down the road...it was pretty cool! I lost them at one of the SAG stops; guess I was taking too long putting on sunscreen, so I rode on alone again. This time I caught up with a group of older men and rode with them until we got to a church that served us a wonderful lunch. I spent the afternoon riding with a Marge Seirtesma and and her brother Peter.
I am writing this now from Redeemer College in Hamilton, Ontario. It took close to 80 miles to get here today, but the winds were much better than yesterday, and it was actually overcast and not too hot up until about noon. Suzie had sweep duty this morning, so I ditched her like she did me yesterday. :) (love ya, Suz!) I rode most of the morning with Renee Brunsting from Fort Collins, Colorado. She started in Grand Rapids, also, and was supposed to be joining her dad, who was riding from Denver to Jersey City. Unfortunately, he was injured in a fall before reaching Grand Rapids, so she decided to come on her own anyway. Suzie caught up eventually late morning, and we rode together the rest of the day. We were inundated with food and roadside well-wishers all day again today; it's really something. I think I ingested an entire watermelon over the course of the day. The scenery has really been beautiful; miles of farms, fields, and some beautiful old farmhouses.
We chose to be billeted again tonight; the best part is showing up at camp in the morning and not having put away the tent and everything...Not to mention that the host people are so excited to have someone staying with them and being a part of this in their own way.
Tomorrow we have a very easy ride to St. Catharine's/Niagara Falls. I'm looking forward to seeing Michael there. :)
Hope you enjoyed this post; I passed up getting a free pedicure to do this instead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
You gave up a pedicure?!? That's true dedication! I love reading your posts Sandy so it's much appreciated. Sounds like you're having an awesome experience. Be safe and God bless.
hugs,
Kristin
Hi Sandy;
How are your legs holding up.
Don Van Harken
Hey Sandy,
Great to read whats happening, see you soon in Jersey City.
John A. Algera
Sandra: we are eally really trying to get to Niagara Falls today - my brother Paul Vanderwal, Wayne, N.J. asked me to greet you however he is not completely well informed. IF IT STOPS raining (as if you all haven't run into some bad weather now and then)we are planning to be there this afternoon for the rally. Hope to meet you and God Bless You - all of you! Joanne Joosse-Keiller, Winona, Ontario
I'm with Kristin..you gave up a pedicure? I just told my family that I wanted one for my birthday. You deserve on when you arrive home?!?!? Shall I tell Michael???
Hi Sandy,
We’ve been reading your blog with much interest. You should consider writing as a new career when returning home. Good to see you’re doing well, and that you’ve been able to that strange word at several homes overnight. This bike riding takes me back a “couple” of years when I was 16. I got a racing bike from my cousin …. curled down handle bars, one gear, no coasting, bamboo rims, could lift it with your pinky. Bike attire was blue jeans, pants clip, and a flannel shirt. How’s that for wind resistance.
God bless you, the other riders, and the Sea to Sea cause. We’re praying for your safety and we look forward to seeing you back here at home.
Ron & Rita, (Kris’ parents, Mr. & Mrs. Popjes, whoever)
Sandy,
How I thought and prayed for you and Suzie as we traversed the Blue Ridge Parkway and the hills and valleys of Shenandoah this week! Andy has decided hills are not his friends, but he's still working like crazy to ride with you guys on Saturday. See you then!!! Psalm 121.
Jacie
I'm jealous of all the beautiful scenery you are seeing...the view's just not the same in Spin class!
Sounds like so much fun!
Kris
Post a Comment