My last post was written mid-morning on Thursday, a day that was relatively short mileage-wise. Suzie and I took advantage of the day, cycling alone most of the time, blogging at a library, and spending a lot of time stopping and goofing around. We rode through a cute little town in Pennsylvania called Hop Bottom. I was dying to know why it was called that, and even stopped in a small thrift shop to use the restroom, but forgot to ask. I looked it up after I got home and learned that name reflects the hops that are grown in the area for local breweries. Before we left, we noticed a man with a horse just down the street, and Suzie arranged for a photo op on a different type of saddle than we'd become accustomed to riding...
Shortly after leaving the town of Hop Bottom, we rode by the impressive Tunkhannock Viaduct, which, according to a sign nearby, was the largest concrete structure of its kind when built in 1915.
When we had been given the route map the night before, the logistics manager, Ed Witvoet, had apologized that the elevation graph was not accurate from the 40-mile point on, so we had no idea what the last 20 miles of the ride were going to be like. At this point, we were only about 7 miles from our destination, Lackawanna State Park, and we were feeling a little smug that the ride hadn't been all that hilly after all. Well, as the saying goes, "It ain't over till it's over." The last last 7 miles were incredibly steep; someone with a GPS on their bike later reported that one of the hills was a 16% grade...unbelievable. It was one of the few times on the tour that I needed to stand up in the pedals for long stretches. In a sick way, it was kind of fun, and we had a great sense of accomplishment when it was over.
We arrived at the park and set up our tent, then prepared to head for the showers. We started hearing that the water was FREEZING cold. Suzie bravely declared that she was going in anyway, and went on ahead. Well, there was NO way I could do it. I looked over a map of the campground and saw there were other showers scattered around. I carefully packed everything I would need in a small backpack, and another cyclist and I rode about 1/2 mile and found an empty shower house where I took a 20-minute, steaming hot shower; it was wonderful! We also had a chance to talk with an older couple camping nearby about the tour, and they showed us around their "yurt." Later that night, after our peleton meeting, we took communion together standing in a huge circle in a clearing in the woods; very beautiful.
Then there was Friday.
Friday was the day that many of us had been either silently or admittedly dreading; the 82-mile route for this day included the greatest cumulative elevation climb of the entire 9-week tour (total: 6,857 feet). The lovely culmination of this day was a climb over High Point, NJ, the highest elevation point in the state (hence, the name). From the minute we left camp that morning, we were either climbing or sailing down hills, many of them very steep. At one point I clocked a personal speed record of 42.2 mph. (Which sounds much more impressive in "Canadian": 70 km/hr) I have to add that all summer long, I had been praying that this day would not be hot, and it turned out to be one of the coolest days that we had...thank you, God!
We plugged along all day and kept our stopping to a minimum. About halfway through this strenuous day, we came upon this little deli/liquor store...I had to laugh when I saw all of the bikes parked outside underneath all of the beer signs. That should tell you what kind of day it was. (and yes, we stopped too!)
My husband Michael, my mom, and my kids had set up a much appreciated refreshment stop at the top of High Point, and all of the cyclists seemed pretty happy for an excuse to stop, catch their breath and get a drink and a homemade cookie.
This poster was hung on the nearby "Welcome to High Point" sign...many of the cyclists were skeptical about the statement that "It's all downhill from here", but most seemed willing to cling to that hope for the time being.
We had less than 10 miles to go, and we continued on Route 23 toward our destination of Sussex Christian School. It became apparent that we were re-entering "CRC country", and were welcomed into Sussex county by wonderful roadside signs such as this:
We were very fortunate that our route took us right past a bakery/deli (Clove Brook Market) owned by very dear friends of ours, Rich and Kim Sytsma. Their daughter Hannah made this great sign! Many lucky cyclists (including myself) feasted on Kim's delights such as scones and pies...yummmmmm!!!!
Just a few miles down Route 23, I started noticing little "phht, phht, phht" noises coming from my front tire...yes, it was a small hole which required changing the tube. We were told by one of the more experienced cyclists that wet roads predispose to flat tires because debris sticks to the rubber. (In fact, the flat count for Saturday, if I recall correctly, was close to 30, compared with the usual less than 10.)
About 20 miles into the ride, my wonderful family had set up another refreshment station at the point where we were turn off from Route 23. The cyclists were pretty excited to get some free coffee, trail mix, M&Ms, and homemade, fresh-squeezed lemonade (thanks, Victoria!). I was also very surprised to see my friend and neighbor Terry Doremus who was waiting there hoping to see me. It was actually kind of weird to be riding with the tour on familiar roads...
A short time later, we were greeted again by a refreshment stop set up by our Bridgeway Community Church family...It was so fun to see everyone!
Here's our wonderful Bridgeway friends...thanks guys!!!! You're the best...
The rest of the afternoon was amazing. We all gathered at a large parking lot in Kearny, NJ at 1:00, where we took a group photo on a hillside. Shortly thereafter, we departed for the final 10 mile stretch, all of which was police escorted. We were led by a cruiser with lights flashing, followed by "Billy D" on his motorcycle, then the entire group of cyclists, and followed up by another police cruiser. When we reached the edge of town, the Jersey City police took over and escorted us another several miles up to Liberty State Park, where a third police force (Liberty State Park police) led the procession. It gave me chills, seeing this beautiful "sea" of cyclists moving along the city streets and crossing over bridges. People lining the streets had no idea what was going on, but many were cheering and clapping and whistling. Maybe they thought we were the Olympic cycling team coming home...who knows! No matter who we were, I'm sure it was an exciting sight. We cycled into Liberty State Park, and rode for quite a ways along a cobblestone walkway, passing right by Ellis Island and the statue itself. I wish I had more pictures of the ride, but it's actually pretty dangerous taking photos from a bike, especially riding in such close quarters...(that's Suzie in the lower righthand corner)
Trevor and Linda Rubingh, pastors of New City Kids Church in Jersey City, greeted us in a very special way, displaying a huge banner from a sailboat in the harbor near the tire dipping point. They were joined by several of the kids from their church.
Thanks for following my journey with me, for all the support and prayers that I received. I hope we can all find ways to keep the spirit of Sea to Sea alive and look for opportunities to keep working towards the goal of breaking the cycle of poverty.
Until "next time"... :)

4 comments:
You inspired all of us, Sandy! You go, girl! :)
The first picture of you holding your bike and with that great smile tells it all! I was in tears reading this post. How awesome to see familiar faces along the last miles of the route and for them to experience a taste of what you did for the last 2 weeks. I am so proud of you! and what you have accomplished. I am so thankful you remained healthy and had such an incredible experience. Love ya, Sandy! Can't wait to talk with you!!!!!
I echo what Cammy said -- I was so teared up by the time I finished this post! It was an honor to be a very, very small part of the adventure with our little snack table and cheering section ... but how I wish I could have been at the end with you all. I would have been a slobbering mess, for sure, but just to see Christ in action like that ... man, there's nothing like it.
You'll be talking about this when you're 93 in the Holland Home, my friend -- the hottest ticket in the cafeteria! :) We're so proud of all of you, and the good that will come of this will be amazing. Praise God!
Sandy,
I do know how you remember all of the details of the ride, but I appreciate your recollection of the terrain. I have to write something for our church newsletter and your narrative refreshes my memory.
Johnny
Post a Comment