No cute little titles for the blog posts from now on...I have entered a new world of blogging: grab a computer wherever/whenever you can, and write as fast as you can while trying to remember an almost overwhelming amount of experiences with an exhausted brain....I am sitting in a public library near the Richmond, MI high school where we are camped tonight, and I have just a few minutes before dinner (and I'm REALLY ready for dinner). AND we rode 95 miles today, and I'm a little tired. :)
What can I say about yesterday? It was one of the best days of cycling I've ever had! Flat roads, light traffic, sunny skies, and brisk tailwinds; it was almost effortless. We clocked 66.4 miles; time in the saddle: 4 hrs 8 min. We were also treated like royalty for a good part of the day, thanks to the large CRC population around Grand Rapids and surrounding towns. A short distance out of Grand Rapids, we made a small detour into the town of Lowell, where the Calvary CRC provided an amazing spread of food and drinks for us. Along the way, we were occasionally greeted by well-wishers sitting by the road with signs, or people beeping their car horns and waving...We also had a number of opportunities to share with curious people what in the world all these people on bikes were doing. One guy pulled up right next to me on his motorcycle and was yelling to me as we rode along. One couple asked us for information on how they could make a donation...pretty cool. We got into camp yesterday around 2:30; we stayed last night in a state camp ground (Sleepy Hollow campground) in Laingsburg, MI...it was beautiful. Would you believe as we were cruising slowly around the campground to pick out a site, I slowed to a stop and proceeded to fall over before I could clip out of my pedal on the right side. Duh. And I had to report it at the evening "peleton" meeting as a fall...great. After we set up our tent, we went down a lake and went swimming for awhile. I also found a family there with a boxer puppy and played with him for a little while (Jasper). it's been interesting trying to assimilate into a large group of people who have been traveling together for 7 weeks; we are called the "newbies." Everyone's been great...
Today was a different day altogether; a 95-mile route, VERY strong headwinds, but nice cool temps. It was a long, but satisfying ride today.
Suzie and I are having a blast....it's like being in summer camp.
Sorry I don't have my computer cable with me at the moment; I'll try to post some pictures soon. I'm being kicked off the computer....I'll post more when I can. THANK you for your continued prayers; it's an amazing experience so far. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
So glad for the update....have been checking the last couple of hours. Glad it has been good so far! God is already rewarding your commitment by your experiences thus far. Travel on....
95 miles on a bicycle today! Way to go Sandy!
The right toe clip incident...you had to share it in the peloton? I'm not familiar with that word, so I just looked up that word on dictionary.com and it makes sense now. :)
Sandy! I told Suzie that I was just in GR this weekend for a wedding (actually the wedding was in Kalamazoo) and saw the bikers coming into Calvin.
I'm praying for both of you each step or pedal at a time! Keep serving the Lord in all that you are doing!
Glad to hear it is going so well. Want you to know that the picture I took Monday morning, of you and Suzie taking off, with your huge smile, and big wave, is on my desktop at work, a constant reminder of what you are doing. Peace be with you.
95 ... 95 ... 95 ... Oh ... my ... that's really all I can say ...
How AWESOME is that?! Keep going, girl, and enjoy this utterly amazing ride!!!
Post a Comment